Drain flies taking over your bathroom or kitchen? We have been there and we can help! These small, little black flies often multiply rapidly as they breed quickly in moist, dark places. Unfortunately, spraying pest control chemicals down a drain is ineffective for the elimination of drain flies and it is also bad for the environment. While we would love to have you as a customer and come to service your home, we are going to provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to get rid of drain flies that will cost less than $10 and you can do it yourself. Word of warning – this treatment will take time and requires you to not use the drain for 5 days (or use the drain as little as possible).
Required supplies for getting rid of drain flies:
- Lots of baking soda (I would estimate 2-3 large boxes). You can often get these from the Dollar Store
- Lots of salt (2-3 large boxes)
- White vinegar (I would estimate 5-8 bottles)
- Bleach. This is for more serious cases as we don’t recommend pouring bleach down the drain
- Gloves to protect your hands
- A mask
- Boiling water
Method for how to get rid of drain flies:
- Wear your mask and gloves.
- Pile 2 cups of baking soda and 2 cups of salt on the drain into a pyramid shape.
- Pour 3 cups of vinegar over the pile of baking soda and salt. It will fizz and splutter which is great!
- Do not use the drain overnight! This is a very important step to let the baking soda and salt to work its magic and kill the drain flies and their eggs.
- Boil a full jug of water and pour it down the drain.
- Repeat the steps above every day for 5 days.
- If you are still seeing drain flies after the 5 th day, repeat the steps and add a cap full of bleach after the boiling water. Repeat for an additional 5 days.
As the owner of Greenhouse, I have personally had drain flies after a plumber came to my house to unclog a drain. (Pro tip: ask all plumbers that come to your home, to clean the snake before they treat your home). I used the above steps and resolved the problem after 10 days. I hope this helps you get rid of drain flies in Tampa. Please call us if you have any questions!